Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Sony PlayStation > PS2 Games

Old 28-10-2006, 09:20

dunedog is on a distinguished road
V9 PS2 laser not moving

My PS2 was making the famous clicking noise, so I took it apart to dust it out and swab the laser lens. I've done this before and all worked ok afterwards. Now things are different.

It appears the laser mechanism is stiff to move. I have lubricated the rails. It moves a little easier, but still seems stiff and sometimes makes a clicking sound when moving it back and forth.

When turning it on the drive spins, but it appears the laser is not moving back and forth at all.

I do not get any erros on the screen. I just get the browser screen. I have the Matrix Infinity and I can disable it upon start up, but that does not do anything to solve the problem.

I've heard there is a gear of the laser, but I can't see it. I'm not sure how to further dismantle the unit. I see there is a tiny hex type of screw on one side of the laser mechanism. Is this for adjusting the resistance of the mechanism on the rails?

All I see is a ribbon cable plugging into the laser mechanism. Not sure what that ribbon cable plugs into on the other end.

I have tried turning and running the PS2 upside down, but that did not work either. I think that trick is only for laser lens problems. I think mine is with the whole mechanism not moving.
Sponsored Links
Old 29-10-2006, 17:46
Die Hard Member

lufcfan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lufcfan Send a message via MSN to lufcfan
If your laser isn't moving, it could suggest a blown LA chip if the Romeo mod wan't performed on your console - especially as you refer to the console 'clicking.'

There is a little resistance on the mechanism anyway - only if it's stuck really solid should it cause any problems - but you may want to lubricate the rails of the laser mechanism with some Petroleum Jelly just to make sure, as this could solve the problem if the mechanism is overly stiff...
[SIZE=3][COLOR=orange][B][COLOR=blue]PS2, [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX[/COLOR] & [COLOR=darkolivegreen]Xbox 360[/COLOR] installs / repairs in [U][COLOR=red]West Yorkshire,[/COLOR][COLOR=red] UK[/COLOR][/U] - [COLOR=#ff0000]Nationwide Service [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]-[/COLOR]Please Contact me by PM for more info[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] :)

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=seagreen]360 DVD Drive Fw.[/COLOR] [COLOR=orange]Upgraded/Recovered/Restored -[/COLOR] Bad Flash? No Problem! [COLOR=blue]PM for info[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX 360[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]v1.0[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]- [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red]Samsung TS-H943A [COLOR=orange]w/ iXtreme 1.4 Fw.[/COLOR] :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]