Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Microsoft XBox > XBox Games

Old 21-03-2003, 14:09

suggy
Kernel/ Bios

Can anyone please tell me the diffrence between a Kernel and a Bios?

Got X2Pro, but i keep reading that it dosent come with Kernel or Bios'

Got X2BM v1.1 but nothing about Kernel?
Sponsored Links
Old 21-03-2003, 16:41
Die Hard Member

rms2001
Send a message via ICQ to rms2001 Send a message via AIM to rms2001 Send a message via MSN to rms2001
Kernel

The kernel is the essential center of a computer operating system, the core that provides basic services for all other parts of the operating system. A synonym is nucleus. A kernel can be contrasted with a shell, the outermost part of an operating system that interacts with user commands. Kernel and shell are terms used more frequently in UNIX and some other operating systems than in IBM mainframe systems.

Typically, a kernel (or any comparable center of an operating system) includes an interrupt handler that handles all requests or completed I/O operations that compete for the kernel's services, a scheduler that determines which programs share the kernel's processing time in what order, and a supervisor that actually gives use of the computer to each process when it is scheduled. A kernel may also include a manager of the operating system's address spaces in memory or storage, sharing these among all components and other users of the kernel's services. A kernel's services are requested by other parts of the operating system or by applications through a specified set of program interfaces sometimes known as system calls.

Because the code that makes up the kernel is needed continuously, it is usually loaded into computer storage in an area that is protected so that it will not be overlaid with other less frequently used parts of the operating system.

The kernel is not to be confused with the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).

Some kernels have been developed independently for use in any operating system that wants to use it. A well-known example is the Mach kernel, developed at Carnegie-Mellon University, and currently used in a version of the Linux operating system for Apple's PowerMac computers.

BIOS (basic input/output system)

BIOS (basic input/output system) is the program a personal computer's microprocessor uses to get the computer system started after you turn it on. It also manages data flow between the computer's operating system and attached devices such as the hard disk, video adapter, keyboard, mouse, and printer.

BIOS is an integral part of your computer and comes with it when you bring it home. (In contrast, the operating system can either be preinstalled by the manufacturer or vendor or installed by the user.) BIOS is a program that is made accessible to the microprocessor on an eraseable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) chip. When you turn on your computer, the microprocessor passes control to the BIOS program, which is always located at the same place on EPROM.

When BIOS boots up (starts up) your computer, it first determines whether all of the attachments are in place and operational and then it loads the operating system (or key parts of it) into your computer's random access memory (RAM) from your hard disk or diskette drive.

With BIOS, your operating system and its applications are freed from having to understand exact details (such as hardware addresses) about the attached input/output devices. When device details change, only the BIOS program needs to be changed. Sometimes this change can be made during your system setup. In any case, neither your operating system or any applications you use need to be changed.

Although BIOS is theoretically always the intermediary between the microprocessor and I/O device control information and data flow, in some cases, BIOS can arrange for data to flow directly to memory from devices (such as video cards) that require faster data flow to be effective.

So in laymans terms, the kernel is a part of the OS.
And the BIOS tells every thing what to do.

A modchip is flashed with a BIOS to its EPROM, what will take over the original one on the XBox, allowing you to play back ups.
* All stuffed in a beautiful translucent green case

UK PAL Ver1.4 XBox ([i]not chipped yet[/i])
Stock 8gb WD
Philips 6035/21
* All stuffed in a beautiful Crystal Clear case[/SIZE]

[I]Having a BMW that says “Made in the USA” is like having a Rolls-Royce that says “Made in Japan”[/I]

Last edited by rms2001; 21-03-2003 at 17:34.
Old 22-03-2003, 03:45

suggy
Thanks V much.

So the Keranel is allready there and i only need to flash my X2pro
with the diffrent bios (X 4) to get going.

PS is the DB25 cable a straight through cable or is there any twists?

Having to make my own as i cannot get one 500mm or less.
Old 22-03-2003, 08:47
Die Hard Member

rms2001
Send a message via ICQ to rms2001 Send a message via AIM to rms2001 Send a message via MSN to rms2001
Why not plug the programmer right into the parallel port?
Thats what I did with my Matrix programmer.
* All stuffed in a beautiful translucent green case

UK PAL Ver1.4 XBox ([i]not chipped yet[/i])
Stock 8gb WD
Philips 6035/21
* All stuffed in a beautiful Crystal Clear case[/SIZE]

[I]Having a BMW that says “Made in the USA” is like having a Rolls-Royce that says “Made in Japan”[/I]
Old 22-03-2003, 12:23

suggy
X2Pro plugs in to p/port, after fitting to xbox,
but i need the cable less than 500mm