Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 07-01-2001, 21:23

gamenewbie
Making copies of safedisk protected games. Help for a newbie

We just got a new computer for Christmas so i'm a newbie to copying games. I would like to make back-up copies of some game that the kids got for Christmas, but it seems that they are protected (with Safedisk???). Can one of you experienced game copiers help me and write out some step-by-step instructions on how to make copies of some game CD's (I'm sure others are in the same boat as I). The ones I'm specifically looking to do this to are Madden 2000, FIFA 2000, flight simulator 2000, etc., but any other education you can provide would be most appreciated.
I tried using create CD (came with my system), but I get error message that the disk cannot be copied. My CD is a SONY CRX140E. Also, where do I find the correct "stuff" to do this (I keep seeing postings of something called clone CD??).
I appreciate the time take to help with this request. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute some value to the site.

Also another question, in alot of the fixes I read on this site, there is a comment replace the original GAME.EXE executable with the one from the extractable archive. If I look on my games (say Madden 2000), I cannot find an .EXE file?? and where is the executable archive? If anyone can explain this to me I would be most appreciative.

I await the posting reply that contains the help.

Thanks a bunch from a newbie who hopes to get some back-up game copying experience.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2001, 06:12

Raks55
Dam you asked for alot of stuff in one go.

First go here
http://www.elby.de/CloneCD/english/index.htm
download CloneCD. It will only be able to write at 2 speed but i suggest you register so you can write at full speed.
Second go here
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections.shtml
it has info on all the protection schemes.
I have the same drive as you and i can copy all safedisk game so you should be able to as well.
Now start clone cd click the read to image, now tick the box fast error skip if you want to copy a safedisk protected game. If you don't do this it will take for ever to read the cd. Read at whatever speed you want but i always do it at 1 speed it takes about 20 min, you can read at faster speed if you want. Now once the image is finished click write from image file only tick allways close last seesion and make sure write mode is raw dao. Use your Sony 140e to both read and write. Once it's finish writing you shold have a perfect copy.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:27

Raks55
I forgot to answer your other question. TO find the *.exe file go to where you installed your game and look for it, is you can't find it go to the start menu, and go to find then to files and folders. Click browse go to the directory where you installed the game click ok. in the box where it says named type *.exe it should find all the exe's there are that directory. The executable archive you have to download from game copy world click on the link on the top of the page. There will be a exe in the executable archive take it out and replace it with the one in the directory where you installed the game. Most of the time the exe will let you play the game without putting the cd in everytime. Some times there won't be a exe in the executable archive instead there will be a patch put that in the game directory at double click it will do something so the game can run without the cd. Read the other posts there is ton of info on this.
Old 08-01-2001, 13:52

Hawke
Also, you can do this to find your .exe file...if you have a desktop icon just right single click. Then go to the bottom of the menu to "Properties" and click it. You'll find the exact path to the .exe file. If you use the Start/Program to start the game, just go to the start icon in the program list and do the same thing. You can copy and paste the path line in the "Start/Find file" field and you'll have the .exe file in front of you.