Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Sony PlayStation > PS2 Games

Old 12-04-2003, 16:51

ottoman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ottoman Send a message via Yahoo to ottoman
DVD-R Media.

I'm a bit threaders with this!!!

I use DVDMaster X2 dvd-r ( ritek dye) and Traxdata X1 dvd-r ( rytek dye) and have had no complaints until now.

A While back i backed up GTA Vive ( as i'm sure everyone has!) and then used my back-up to create another back-up ( verifying my back-up).

A couple of weeks ago I dragged down my backup and tried it in my ps2. It had all sorts of dvd reading problems.

I checked the write surface and fiund amidst the write part a load of lighter purple blotches. the dvd-r had lost the write I put on it.

This was on DVD Master dvd-r.

I decided to go through the rest of my dvdMaster back-ups and found about 50% of them had developed these patches.

I then went on to check my traxdata and found a similar problem with them.

Now I know that the burn is initially good cos u can take a back-up off the burn but after a couple of months????

Has anyone else experienced this on what r meant to be the dogs testicles of dvd-r??

Luckily I had also backed up onto Bulkpaq G4 dvd-r and although the ps2 don't like em the Pioneer 104 could read the image again no problem!!

Any thoughts? And yes, I do also have the originals!!
Old 12-04-2003, 17:39
Die Hard Member

charlie_ps2
I think you covered the issue very well. It would appear that there is chemical decomposition.

What happens when you try to copy the blotched DVD-R to disk as a GI file? I would expect errors to be reported by PrimoVD or whatever you used.
Old 12-04-2003, 18:15

Yeah. When u read the dvd-r back in u get message 'completed with errors' so definitely a problem with reading them again.

A bit p*ss*d off as I did everything right and it has come back to bite me in the ass but I guess thats the price u pay!

Shame the ps2 don't like the silvery purple G4 dvd-r's as they seem to keep their write for ever ( well at least a year anyway!).

Regards......
Old 12-04-2003, 19:23
Die Hard Member

scamper
well i got my pioneer a03 from when it came out first and thanks to charlie_ps2 he got me started from day 1 on dvd-r's , and from day 1 i've been using verbatim's, and even after well over a year they all still work perfect , so i guess sticking to better media then cheap media works every time, so maybe ritek ain't as good in the end as everyone says (and ive tried nearly all dvd-r brands on the market and always go back to verbatim's) as posted in another topic on this forum ive tried traxdata's and for me they where utter s++t , backed up on them fine booted fine but fmv were so slow and sluggish and then would just crash , you can't go wrong with well known branded media and for me verbatim's rule and all my friends that use them think so to , i have burnt plenty and never had one coaster , so that must say something
Old 13-04-2003, 11:50

ps2man
ritek

I use verbatim disks and never had a problem but at $10 cad. each they are expensive I would like to try a less expensive brand of disk like the ritek (most people on this forum say they work great) but, if they fail after a couple months than i will stay with the verbatim's. So will the members who used ritek 6 months ago to backup games tell us if they still work 100%
Old 13-04-2003, 12:54

yankeesfan
I use Verbatim 2x. Out of 30 games, only 1 game gave me trouble and that was All Star Baseball 2004. Finally worked on Memorex. I will stick with Verbatim. It's worth the extra $.
Old 13-04-2003, 13:15

Just what type of berbatim is everyone using?

I have tried them twice. Several problems with them:

Firstly the ps2 doesn't like reading constant streaming games like GTA Vice or TS2 from silvery purple write surfaces.

I backed up time splitters 2 at both 2X and 1X and both of them read back in at about a quarter of the speed of the original.

Also put Simpsons road rage and crashed.

GTA Vice froze up after about 30 seconds of playing.

Secondly they r the only type of media ever to crap out in mid burn. 3 of them, all on the same image, all at different places.

Dropped in a ritek straight after and burned the same image first time onto it.

Now, am I using the wrong verbatim dvd-r???

I was using 2X verbatim at 3 a disc.
Old 13-04-2003, 14:52

yankeesfan
I use Vebatim Data Life Plus 2X 4.7 GB. They work great for me. My GTA Vice City froze when I burnt at 2x. Re-burned at 1X and it plays flawlessly. I have backed up 30 games and have never had a "crap out" in mid burn. I think it comes down to what works best for each laser/burner/PC/type of modchip/etc. that each person has. Experiment and stick with what works for you.
V7 Magic 2
V7 Messiah 2
Old 13-04-2003, 15:15

BG is on a distinguished road
After Ottomans post, I went and checked my Personal backups...... (ALL ON RITEK media)

100% on every disc...... They all work and look just like the day I backed them up.....

I've been using Ritek since they were first available (at least in the US) and have NEVER had a single problem with them.....

Everybody swears by Verbatim, and for most they seem to work great for.......

BUT....

From personal experience, I won't have them... at least not their dvds (cds on the other hand I LOVE).......

For ME..... Games are ALOT more reliable and smoother running on Ritek than Verbatim.......
[b][color=blue]Lite-On LTD-166S DVD-Rom W/[/color][color=red]Smart-X[/color][/b]
[COLOR=blue][B]LG GCE-8320B W/[/color][color=red]8MB Buffer[/COLOR][/B]
Old 13-04-2003, 15:47

ps2man
I use the same as yankeesfan and I also use apple with no problem. Some of my backup are over a year old and still work 100% . Since my last post I found a neighbor that had ordered some riteks and let me have one for a ps2 backup, it works just as good as the verbatim but will it last as long or have loading problems in a few months? I would like to have a less evpensive disk to use for movie backups as well because like i said verbatims are alot of $$$$$ in my area.
Old 13-04-2003, 22:48
Die Hard Member

dust2dust
ive once before had few traxdata with the blotches u describe,these were disks that got abused badly ,had a liquid of some kind on them (no idea what kids i guess) i never even burned them,they most likely here somewere still

i have many old traxdata backups ,they 1 of the only brands that will boot on my boys old worn v4,he never compians of a traxdata not booting,only asks if i can burn the games he likes to traxdata as they fail

i take a couple of the older burns and see if i can make a good backup,ps2 90% are burnt at 2x all on the fly(on error abort,so it will either be a good copy or fail (never a problem yet))

i just inspected a few old burns there are no blocthes,some of them must be a nearly a year old if not a year

my first suggestion to u is backdate your firmware to 1.31 its most stable firmware they released(general view from the net)
Old 13-04-2003, 22:55
Die Hard Member

dust2dust
Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
Just what type of berbatim is everyone using?

I have tried them twice. Several problems with them:

Firstly the ps2 doesn't like reading constant streaming games like GTA Vice or TS2 from silvery purple write surfaces.

I backed up time splitters 2 at both 2X and 1X and both of them read back in at about a quarter of the speed of the original.

Also put Simpsons road rage and crashed.

GTA Vice froze up after about 30 seconds of playing.

Secondly they r the only type of media ever to crap out in mid burn. 3 of them, all on the same image, all at different places.

Dropped in a ritek straight after and burned the same image first time onto it.

Now, am I using the wrong verbatim dvd-r???

I was using 2X verbatim at 3 a disc.
www.blankdiscshop.co.uk
verbatim inkjet printable 2x i used many thes in there day when they were 3+ each,still booting fine now,only 1.60 a disk now in jewel case

they also do a new verbatim disk on a spindle 25,new brand made by diff manufacturer not tried these yet

ritek g03 or traxdata are my chioce still
Old 13-04-2003, 22:58
Die Hard Member

Headly
Send a message via AIM to Headly
Thats $4.50 a disc! I am glad I missed those early days of DVD burning. Costs me enough now.
JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S
HP DVD Writer 200i
Old 14-04-2003, 19:44

PikachuX
I personally use TDKs. These work 100% of the time for me. They are although very expensive. 15 for $35... Expensive but since it works well, I'll continue using them. Riteks are nice and pretty reliable. My cousin had that same problem with his Riteks once and he found it was due to moisture in his room. Dunno if this is the same problem.