Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Microsoft XBox > XBox Games

Old 07-09-2002, 16:15

tdg8934
Getting nowhere really fast..EnigmaX -no burning?

I have studdied all of the website posts over weeks now and feel I have a good handle on what to do to copy XBOX game backups. I have a Pioneer A04 DVD burner, my third XBOX I have gone through, EnigmaX modchip, various types of DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-RW and CD-R's.

My Enigma X mod chip is installed and EvolutionX comes up with my modified menu.ini. I also use Boxplorer 0.96 for starting games that I have copied to my XBOX HD to run the Default.xbe file.

So Fact 1: Games run fine over the HD either through a modified menu.ini or Boxplorer using the Evolution X 1.85.xxx program on the XBOX's HD.

I have Record Now DX 4.11 that came with my Pioneer A04 DVD burner. I can either use xISO, or XISOtools to create an XBOX ISO file and then burn them using Record Now DX 4.11 at 1x recording following various procedures posted about this. I put the copy in (doesn't matter if it is DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-RW or CD-R) and it just defaults back to the Evolution X initial screen. I have tried many different types of media formats as sugested on various posts but it always defaults back to the Evolution X screen (unless I choose the original XBOX dashboard which brings up a message stating that it cant read it - possibly scratched, etc..). I can also burn using the UDF format (as stated in various posts) verified with pictures and text (this would be a Data Record).

So Fact 2: Nothing plays as either a UDF data record or XBOX ISO record. Always defaults back to Evolution X screen.

I then tried to flash the bios (ST chip) and it locked up on my second XBOX making the XBOX unbootable. I wanted to use a larger 80 GB HD on the XBOX that I bought. I am very affraid of trying this again. Yes I did follow many posts and tutorials on doing this. My current XBOX has an Hyndai Chip (somthing with an H - not ST) which requires a special program that I can't get anyone to send to me.

So Fact 3: Bios Flashing on Enigma is not possible with Hyndai Bios.

WOULD CHANGING THE MODCHIP (WITH BIOS ON BOARD) FIX THE DVD/CD PLAYING PROBLEMS ANYWAY?

I then tried to use my Pioneer A04 DVD burner as an external device to play backups with no sucess. I then tried another BTC DVD player and still had the same problems.

So Fact 4: External DVD copy playing was not an option either.

I have been able to get the Simpsons Road Rage game to burn AND PLAY using the DATA UDF format and xISO format on a TDK CD-RW and a DVD-RW. I have been able to get various XBOX utility programs fround on Console Gaming World to also burn and play. These would include, Evolution X 1.85.xx, Enigma Video selection (NTSC,PAL), Game Selector, etc...

So Fact 5: Only Simpsons Road Rage and XBOX utility type programs burn and play on the modded XBOX.

What else can I do???? I have spent way too much time now believing in this XBoX modchip to work. I have checked and beeped out my wire connections on the 29 modchip wires too. I don't see anything left to try.

I also tried the Game Selector software which allows you to play up to 4 games on one DVD. When burned to a DVD-RW....the screen comes up with my 4 choices (.ie press A for game 1, B for game 2, X for game 3...). As per the instructions...I coppied the games into the DVD root directory and renamed each games default.xbe to default1.xbe for game 1, default2.xbe for game 2, etc...When I press A or B or X or Y it just brings me back to the EvolutionX initial screen. I can even use boxplorer and try to click on the default1,2,3,4,etc....XBE files and it still brings me back to the EvolutionX screen.

I use FlashFXP to speak to the XBOX too. I notice it transfers at 600K/s which takes 1-2 hours to transfer a game backup to my PC HD. If I use boxplorer 0.96 it takes only MINUTES to transfer from the XBOX DVD drive to the XBOX HD.

I have been extremely thourough in my testing and tried everything possible. Please help if you can. I know everyone asks for help but I don't know where else to go or what to try. I guess all that is left is replace the modchip (EnigmaX) with another but I beleive it is working and don't think it would solve anything other than being able to allow me to have a larger HD. All that is left is either I have the wrong DVD or CD media or I am recording it incorrectly.

I appologize for such a long post...but it is better to have all of the information than to have to come back requesting more information.

Where else can I turn or what can I do?????
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2002, 06:32

tdg8934
X-ecuter - try this next I guess??

I just bought an X-ecuter modchip (with onboad bios) from Lik-Sang. Hopefully at least I can use my 80 GB HD with this modchip but I would rather know why no CD/DVD media works.

Any experience with X-excuter?
Old 08-09-2002, 07:03

Quall999 is on a distinguished road
If the modchip reads things like boXplorer and evoX, then it works fine. It's either the ISO file, or the way you burned it thats wrong. I personally don't hassel with copying games myself. Like you said before, takes a long time to tramsfer 1-3 gig. The onlu game i've copied was amped, but I had no problems.

Oh yah, you should burn on Mode 1. And CD-r's don't work on xbox. The dvd drive was made to not read it. I have x-ecutor, and it works fine.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:12

tdg8934
What do you use the X-ecuter for?

I know I have the correct method for burning ISO's down cold. I have tried MANY methods described with multiple programs just to make sure.

I can't figure it out. If it was not the modchip (thinking it must be the DVD drive in the XBOX) then why doesn't the PC DVD method work on 2 different DVD drives?

What do you use the X-ecuter for if you don't make backups?
Old 08-09-2002, 09:02

I meant that I don't make back-ups myself. I have Halo and Project Gothem backed up, which I d/led (I bought own the accual games too). After my copies of PSO were ruined by scratches and my dog, I beleive that backing up games is a good idea. I friking went through withdraws when both copies of PSO was ruined. It's hard to stay away from that game.

But the DC emulation seen lured me into loving the whole emulation and homebrew seen. Playing my once favorite snes and genesis games on newer systems, as well as playing the homebrew stuff is more than enouph of a reason to get a modchip.

I wont say I don't beleive in warez. Snes games are too hard to find these days, so there's really only 1 way to get them.

Last edited by Quall999; 08-09-2002 at 09:08.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:07

Trust me, getting backups of your games by d/l can be easier, besides, if I wanted to copy a game, I would have to bring my xbox to my fathers work to burn the game. Easier for me to d/l it there and burn it.

I dunno if d/ling games you own is illegal. But if anyone asks, I backed em up myself.

Oh yah. In the sticky at the top of this forum, some guy mentioned something about a patching tool. You might have to do use that. I dunno.

Oh, and here's another thread elsewhere. http://xbox-scene.fxp.info/index.php...5de37f057aThey have no information how to get it to work or anything like that, they just state some stuff.

Last edited by Quall999; 08-09-2002 at 09:33.
Old 08-09-2002, 19:40

tdg8934
New method failed again??

New info:

I tried a recommended program "Instant VOB CD+DVD V6.5 trial" (all with UDF Data formats choosen when possible) - Nothing Joliet. As the other programs it does not work.

I also tried taking a XBOX utility program (fits on a CD-RW) that did copy and run on a CD-RW (although I noticed ONLY CD-RW's 650MB work not 700MB 80min CD-RW's). I took the Enigma Video utility program called "EnigmaSwitchFinal.ISO", and used xISO to extract the files. I Then took Record Now DX 4.11 and burned a DATA CD-RW with UDF choosen and it worked either as a data CD or burned as an ISO. However, when I burned to a couple of DVD-RW types it did not.

So I then thought maybe only 650mb CD-RW's work in my XBOX.

I then took Crazy Taxi 3 and burned it on a know working CD-RW and I got nothing - back to EvolutionX screen by going though Boxplorer, DVD drive, Reset, and MS Dashboard (all though the Evolution X menu). Still nothing with a CD-RW ~350MB files.

Remember the Simpsons Road Rage is the ONLY GAME I got to copy and run only on a CD-RW 650MB format.

That blew that theory...

Im hoping when I get my X-ecuter modchip from Lik Sang next week that at least I can add my 80 GB PC HD (formated corectly of course) to the XBOX - SINCE PLAYING DEFAULT.XBE FROM THE XBOX HD IS THE ONLYTHING THAT WORKS.

Ideas?????
Old 09-09-2002, 09:09

Daleon
Sup everyone,

I'm just getting my feet wet game backups. I'm using a Pioneer A04. I plan on getting the Enigmah-X mod for my Xbox as I was told it had the Evo-X stuff onboard and there would be no need to add any boot sectors to games. Does this mean theres no need to replace any files on the Xbox drive?

So far it sounds like you've ripped everything from your PC. Have you tried the rip from the Xbox using a network cable? I've seen threads detailing how to do this but don't know how well it actually works. But makes sense if you can rip from the Xbox drive itself it may have a better chance of working.
Old 09-09-2002, 18:30

tdg8934
I rip everything using a network RJ45 cable not using my PC drive. XBOX games can not be read through the PC drives. I would not recommend getting an Enigma since it has 29 wires to solder and has very limited support. Spend the money and get a X-ecuter like I did from Lik Sang or the new one called the MATRIX comming out Sep 21st.

With my Enigma X I can not read anthing except games on my HD so I will use my X-ecuter mod chip and use a larger HD. With an Enigma X mod chip you can not add a larger HD so you are then limited to 2-3 games on the 8 GB supplied XBOX HD.