Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > Sony PlayStation > PS2 Games

Old 29-06-2004, 21:57

puppeteer666 is on a distinguished road
hd loader just hacked sony code????

I just received word via phone today that $ony is now sending C&D letters complete with their legal team contacts on it to US-based Web sites selling HD Loader! As a result, some sites have already pulled the product while one site we are aware of is attempting to fight it. At this point in time there is no comment from the official HD Loader site (perhaps because they don't actually sell it), but I have a feeling HD Loader may indeed become more "homebrew" and less commercial in the upcoming months unless this legal matter gets resolved and $ony loses (doubtful).

read this at ownz guessing this is pretty reliable huh?
Sponsored Links
Old 29-06-2004, 22:35
Die Hard Member

spedmetal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to spedmetal Send a message via AIM to spedmetal Send a message via Yahoo to spedmetal
C&d??

never mind just looked at ownz

Cease & Desist
[color=blue][size=2][b]Click[url=http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25770] here [/url]to view refes. Click[url=http://www.norcalmods.com/gallery] here [/url]to view install gallery[/b][/size][/color]
[size=2][b][color=red]Mod chip installs and repair [/color][/b][/size] [url]www.norcalmods.com[/url]
Old 01-07-2004, 05:18

ottoman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ottoman Send a message via Yahoo to ottoman
In that case grab a copy now while u still can!!!

Shame really as sony will probably put code on all of their games to prevent HD installation.But if HDLoader does go PD then I'm sure they can keep one step ahead with updates. If it built by man it can be hacked by man
Old 01-07-2004, 05:24

skub is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all the HD-Loader is all over the net so theres nothing to worry about. There is a hacked and ripped 8 Meg version that works perfectly from what I understand, I'll test it for ya guys when I get a suitable HD to install.

That said I'm very happy to see Sony fighting this. It's very unhealthy for the general public at large to have a tool this easy and convinient that can be used to go to blockbuster and just keep the games without ever having to buy them. It's one thing when small hacking communities mod out there playstation and do the backup scene but when it goes mainstream thats really not good for the industry. Way to go Sony.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:32

Correct me I'm wrong but HDLoader is still a commercial piece of software so i don't think we should be discussing the D/L of a hacked 8MB version for fear of Tylers wrath!!
Old 01-07-2004, 05:45

Ok, sorry about that, but as far as I'm concerned the HD-Loader should be illegal for commericial use, I'm glad it got hacked the day it released it has no place in the commercial world, from now on I'll keep my mouth shut though, again sorry about that.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:16
Die Hard Member

lufcfan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lufcfan Send a message via MSN to lufcfan
Go Sony? WTF are you on? No offence, but ain't that why we have mods? Because they want to stop us using our rights to have 1 backup of every game we own? If they put some protection on the discs (such as anti-mod on PS1) then I think your response would be very different. HDLoader's fine, but I accept some will use it wrongly, but these people have chips too - so I really don't see the difference...
[SIZE=3][COLOR=orange][B][COLOR=blue]PS2, [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX[/COLOR] & [COLOR=darkolivegreen]Xbox 360[/COLOR] installs / repairs in [U][COLOR=red]West Yorkshire,[/COLOR][COLOR=red] UK[/COLOR][/U] - [COLOR=#ff0000]Nationwide Service [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]-[/COLOR]Please Contact me by PM for more info[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] :)

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=seagreen]360 DVD Drive Fw.[/COLOR] [COLOR=orange]Upgraded/Recovered/Restored -[/COLOR] Bad Flash? No Problem! [COLOR=blue]PM for info[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX 360[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]v1.0[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]- [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red]Samsung TS-H943A [COLOR=orange]w/ iXtreme 1.4 Fw.[/COLOR] :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Old 01-07-2004, 06:27

Sony just p1ssd that they not do it first. Whats the point of havin a console with a HD if u can only install a handfull of games on it. Sad really! Am waitin for MemcardLoader ( a virtual memory card on the HD).
Old 01-07-2004, 08:04
Die Hard Member

ooohh. I love the idea
[SIZE=3][COLOR=orange][B][COLOR=blue]PS2, [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX[/COLOR] & [COLOR=darkolivegreen]Xbox 360[/COLOR] installs / repairs in [U][COLOR=red]West Yorkshire,[/COLOR][COLOR=red] UK[/COLOR][/U] - [COLOR=#ff0000]Nationwide Service [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]-[/COLOR]Please Contact me by PM for more info[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] :)

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=seagreen]360 DVD Drive Fw.[/COLOR] [COLOR=orange]Upgraded/Recovered/Restored -[/COLOR] Bad Flash? No Problem! [COLOR=blue]PM for info[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=yellowgreen]XBOX 360[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]v1.0[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]- [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red]Samsung TS-H943A [COLOR=orange]w/ iXtreme 1.4 Fw.[/COLOR] :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Old 01-07-2004, 08:41

crazygamelover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
Correct me I'm wrong but HDLoader is still a commercial piece of software so i don't think we should be discussing the D/L of a hacked 8MB version for fear of Tylers wrath!!
Good point! Otto
Old 02-07-2004, 02:14
Banned

EVOEvo
and u dont see mircosoft crying about playing xbox games off the hdd they seem to have no problem with it i think sonys mad cause they could had made the loader and made loads of cash selling it but the modders got to it frist
Old 02-07-2004, 02:22

Sorry Lucfan, I am a game developer and CG artist myself and I don't feel the same way. HD Loader is too easy and tempting for the general public in my opinion, I think Sony's doing the right thing by protecting both there own investment and the developers they work with, but thats just me. At the same tolken I don't think games should cost $50 a pop.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:28
Die Hard Member

I completely see your point, but that's the real crux of the matter as others have mentioned - Sony are just pissed off because they now aren't selling their well overpriced 5400RPM 40GB Maxtor drives (of which I can get a standard PC version which costs around 8), and which are a load of s*** compared to what we can now use... , and they are also pissed because they never actually made the software themselves.

[RANT/Begins]
Typical Sony really, lets charge top whack for a sub standard piece of crap! The console may be very good (when it works), but the lasers are a bag of crap, and lets not forget how much you pay for one of these things. SCEE ain't moaning about the HDLoader, just SCEA which seem to be up their own arse most of the time anyway.

As EvoEvo said, Microsoft don't moan about XBOX games being played from the HDD, so why do Sony?

At the end of the day, people can copy discs to HDD and boot it. But people can also copy games and boot them with a mod. The mod allows the discs to boot, and the HDLoader allows the HDD to boot. So, how come mods aren't being attacked? Easy, because HDLoader is an easy problem to quash, as it's sold by a handful of outlets and made by one person. Sony have lost on more than 1 occasion at stopping mod sales, so they gave in. But, the two aren't really any different, so hopefully they'll lose again HAHA Sony.

They are just pigs who are out to crush anything which opposes them, and they have to be careful, as on more than one occasion, Sony have very nearly made me think twice about buying another Sony product because of their actions.

Another funny thing, is the Aibo. When those crappy imitations of it came out at christmas that year, which cost 30, and sold really well, and Aibo which costs 1,500 (Typical Sony, again) and does the same things (because I tried one), sold like a lead baloon, why didn't Sony get a bug up thier arse then - one version even looked exactly the same... Because they were popular and being made and sold everywhere. Sony are just bullies picking on small people and a relatively small number of places selling them. All I can say to the people who are contesting this crap, is good luck, and hopefully you'll kick Sony on its arse...
[RANT/Over]

Even if Sony win, HDLoader will just become more Homebrew - you'll still be able to get hold of it, and Sony won't be able to do jack about it. I think I have some good points, but I agree, in the wrong hands it can be a piracy explosion, but for the majority of users like me who want to use it purely to boost loading times and get rid of lag caused by the substandard DVD-ROM, it's a must. Sony realised this and realised just how good an idea, and how popular it was. Cue lawsuit and if HDLoader is quashed, you'll see in a few months, Sony will release their own version, which (of course) will HAVE to utilise their OWN HDD!

I understand that Sony want to protect their investment, but I feel it has made its investment back by about ten times, it's purely a cash cow for them. I'm just pissed that they can't be a little more leanient about what they do, and give people the option to buy a real HDD or their crappy one, and then have the option to either install everything, or just one or two titles...

Old 02-07-2004, 04:38

Your points are valid but mod-chips and the HD-Loader are two completely different things when it comes to ease of installation, cost and accessability.

Sony also has the developers interests to protect and as much as you might consider Sony greedy pigs, they can't have every other PS2 owner just renting games and stealing them using a simple HDD Loader to do it. Sony needed to squash this commercial effort before it even reached the outermost ears of the mainstream in my opinion and I'm glad they succeeded.

However I am also glad that the HDD Loader exists, I just don't think it belongs in the hands of the general public. Maybe I'm just nuts.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:37
Die Hard Member

You're just nuts

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one