Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-05-2005, 06:26
Joe Forster/STA's Avatar
Joe Forster/STA Joe Forster/STA is offline
Senior forum member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Hungary
Posts: 9,842
Thanks: 21
Thanked 344 Times in 226 Posts
Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

As a software developer, I believe that adding suspicious or potentially malicious code to a software hurts the user and voids the trustful connection between the developer and the user. While the developers always disclaim all damage and loss, caused by their own software, they shouldn't add questionable code on purpose.

As a hacker, I believe that using undocumented system functions is a very bad idea (unfortunately, M$ operating systems are known to be extremely ill-documented, except when a third party comes to the rescue!) because their functionality may not be exactly as documented and may change any time, without notice. As a result, you may have strange problems if your PC has "non-standard" hardware or software installed. (Meaning: hardware and software that the code hasn't been tested with.)

As a self-conscious user and administrator of the home PC's of my family, I would hate to have any software running on my systems, without my knowledge. This even includes those sh*t little icons in the system tray, which I carefully get rid of; viruses, ad-ware and other malicious code is much worse than that.

The Starforce copy protection has gone too far in the last year or so. It's becoming too similar to trojans and may have severe consequences to the stability of your system. (And the average user doesn't even know the reason as all copy protections are well hidden, for a reason!)

Whether this thread has any chance to call the attention of game publishers, I don't know. Actually, I don't think so... Still, I'm against intrusive software, be it trojans, ad-ware or copy protection!

Joe
__________________
Joe Forster/STA
For more information, see the FileForums forum rules and the PC Games forum FAQ!
Don't contact me via E-mail or PM to ask for help with anything other than patches (or software in general) done by me, otherwise your request may be deleted without any reply!
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: [email protected]; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 18-05-2005, 06:52
gnozal gnozal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gnozal
No SF game for me. Never
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-05-2005, 08:10
Grumpy's Avatar
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,695
Thanks: 1,256
Thanked 1,851 Times in 812 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Come on all, place your support post here. If you dont agree with what I am saying then simply do not post here! A post here is a post counted.

Thankyou for your post/vote.
Thanks for you vote Dabhand!

To all others who have posted here already I thank you also. The only reason I am thanking Dabhand personally is because he believes there is nothing wrong with what Starforce does!! But still he posted a vote?
__________________
Can't find a Game Conversion? Check the 'Conversion INDEX'
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18-05-2005, 09:25
DABhand DABhand is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Near my PC
Posts: 5,406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
DABhand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
Thanks for you vote Dabhand!

To all others who have posted here already I thank you also. The only reason I am thanking Dabhand personally is because he believes there is nothing wrong with what Starforce does!! But still he posted a vote?
Grumpy there is a reason why you live in australia :P
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18-05-2005, 09:38
Grumpy's Avatar
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,695
Thanks: 1,256
Thanked 1,851 Times in 812 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
@Dabhand
LOL Yes thats because from here I cant poke you in the eye to wake you up!
__________________
Can't find a Game Conversion? Check the 'Conversion INDEX'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18-05-2005, 09:54
Grumpy's Avatar
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,695
Thanks: 1,256
Thanked 1,851 Times in 812 Posts
Grumpy is on a distinguished road
Ok just incase all of you who have started to follow this thread do not read the first post again, there is now a Starforce Protected Games List in the first post of this thread.
__________________
Can't find a Game Conversion? Check the 'Conversion INDEX'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-05-2005, 10:37
rebelcpu rebelcpu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rebelcpu is on a distinguished road
Thanks Grumpy for the effort. I do hope this gets out to the unlearned customers in the hope the bloody PC gaming industry doesn't sink any lower than it has. Its beyond pathetic now.

However, how do we, the learned consumer, make a change to the PC industry? I gather this is one small step. The madness MUST end!

I cannot begin to express my absolutely disdain for both Securom7 and StarFarce3! Hidden virtual device drivers are simply wrong!!! YOU DON'T NEED TO SELL A GAME AND THEN TAKE THE CUSTOMER'S RIGHTS AWAY! A game sells on merit and doesn't need over-protection. There are better ways to make money then further alienate your customer base with such assinine measures.

I've already said plenty on this matter in other forums across the web and I do pray this "protection idioicy" ends soon.

Also do wish game devs would release NoCD/DVDs upon their first or second patch as a goodwill gesture for thanking us, the paying public, for buying their games. A gaming industry that still requires the CD/DVD to be inserted before and during gameplay is sooo 90s. Gawd industry WAKE FRICK'N UP ! ! ! !

THe ReB.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
possible starforce clone? skitzdout General Gaming 17 28-06-2006 17:05
StarForce > Starforce Nightmare Optimummind PC Games 42 27-03-2006 05:04
Starforce question. t.foster73 CD/DVD Copy Protections & Utilities 2 21-03-2005 08:13
Dreamcast ATOMISWAVE Petition - New games for our 2nd NeoGeo: The Dreamcast Christuserloeser DC Games 4 21-06-2004 17:08
StarForce 3.xx Investiagtion samson_cheung PC Games 3 10-08-2003 14:41



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
FileForums @ https://fileforums.com