FileForums

FileForums (https://fileforums.com/index.php)
-   XBox Games (https://fileforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   need a new xbox hard drive (https://fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=79457)

sharpie392 20-12-2006 15:09

need a new xbox hard drive

I had my friend try and put some mod files on my hard drive. I got it back and it made some strange noise as if something was loose when i hooked it up. Is there a way i can either get an xbox hard drive w/ all the basic files? If not can i take another hard drive and put those files on it, and where do i get those files? Is it possible to just put mod files on it and install a mod chip w/ out having original bios?

sharpie392 20-12-2006 19:56

I also do not have a mod chip installed

Quall999 22-12-2006 05:22

First of all, you will need a modchip to do anything. Otherwise, you will just keep getting HDD errors and will not even be able to boot to an exploited gamesave. I don't know what your friend did, but unless he unlocked your xbox HDD before doing it, he would be doing nothing good with it.

Once you install a modchip, you will be able to boot to a homebrewn app like evolution X. From there, you can format a new HDD.. You can also find a utility called "Slayers auto installer", which will format AND copy original files to the HDD.

sharpie392 22-12-2006 12:18

how do i unlock the drive? i dont think my friend was able to put any files on it, possibly because it was not unlocked

sharpie392 22-12-2006 18:14

i got to the slayer site and ended up having to get adobe. I ogt it and downloaded the hashing utility and manual, is the hashing utility what i need to put the files onto the hd?

Quall999 23-12-2006 07:53

Slayers auto installer is an xbox application. It is pretty hard to find it on a website due to legal issues. You can try torrents or xbins (google em). The hash utility is used to determine whether or not the copy of Slayers, which you downloaded from wherever, is an actual copy and not a "fake". Other than checking for a correct signature, it won't help you.

Evolution X (slayers is evoX with additional utilities) has the ability to unlock your drive. You would need to unlock it WHILE the HDD was connected to the its original xbox. If the drive doesn't boot in your xbox, then it is probably destroyed. Once you get a chip you can try to unlock it so you can reinstall everything, but no guarantees that the thing will ever work again.

Not to be mean, but the locked hard-drive is not exactly something that isn't well known. Your friend shouldn't have even touched your console if he didn't even know about the locked mobo connection. Was your xbox actually a test-box for him?

sharpie392 23-12-2006 21:13

yeah my friend knows a lot, but some stuff he dsnt, but he acts like he does anyway so i dnt know what he did to it, cause now theres something rattling in it we both are pretty new to modding, so we thought that by just putting the bios on the hard drive it would work from there, and no mod chip would be necessary, i was bein lazy cause i didnt wanna pay for a mod chip i also thought there was a way to flash the xbox chip and not buy a mod chip, though im sure figuring that out wou7ld be monumental

DABhand 23-12-2006 22:19

He didnt open your HDD that would be sacrillage lol

But as a rule of thumb, if someone brags they can do this and that, keep away from them lol

Rattling inside you say?

If he didnt open, he may have done a swaperoony trick, his may have been dmg'd and he got yours for a trade. Or is it the same HDD you gave to him? If in the future you do again, mark it so you know its yours or not, like a small unnoticeable mark only you know.

Quall999 27-12-2006 07:29

I think he ripped out his HDD and stuffed it in his box to try and install a phoenix bios loader softmod. The HDD would fail in any other xbox if it was not first unlocked. If he did anything to the drive while it was locked, it may have become damaged. Locking is for security.

Also, there was some mention of bios flashing on the mobo. You can do this for xbox v1-v1.5. It is not possible with v1.6 xboxes. V1-V1.1 xboxes have a 1mb bios flash, so it can be split to hold multiple bios. v1.2+ xboxes have a 256k flash, so you can only put 1 bios onto the chip.

Basically, it means that if you have xbox live, you need an original bios. Only v1-v1.1 xboxes have the ability to hold both a hacked and original bios, so you can switch between them.

sharpie392 27-12-2006 12:36

how do i flash the bios on the xbox with the files?

Quall999 29-12-2006 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpie392 (Post 334694)
how do i flash the bios on the xbox with the files?

Flashing the on board bios requires you to solder various parts of the mother board in order to allow the flash chip to be reflashed. You will also need to wire specific points together if you want to add a bios switch. Your xbox needs to be working so you can boot to an exploit, which means that your damaged HDD disables you from flashing the chip.

sharpie392 29-12-2006 17:55

if i get a new hd how or where can i get original xbox software to put on it?

Quall999 30-12-2006 09:41

Slayers evox auto-installer v2.7 will restore your HDD's software to original state. It contains all files needed and will copy them automatically. It will also format new drives.

The site is here but the software is not listed for legal reasons. Google or xbins it.
http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/

sharpie392 31-12-2006 17:31

is it possible to install the files on another hd?

SirMaverick 02-01-2007 00:47

Hey sharpie, I softmodded my box, it works great, I used auto installer deluxe. An awsome tool. Although I had to flash my box with evox. If you are still interested, pm me or post a reply. Do you still have your original unmodded hard drive?

sharpie392 19-01-2007 10:31

i still have my unmodded hd but it is broken, i need to know were to get the auto installer and how to put it onto a drive

Quall999 21-01-2007 06:51

1. Buy a modchip, install it, and flash a hacked xbox firmware for your xbox version.
2. Buy a new IDE Hard-drive.
3. Search xbins or google for Slayers Evox Auto-Installer
4. Burn to a disk and start up on the modded xbox.
5. Follow the on-screen options to:
-format the hard-drive partitions
-install original files

We cannot tell you where to download Slayers for legal reasons.

sharpie392 02-02-2007 10:30

is there a way i can do this w/ out a mod chip?

Quall999 03-02-2007 15:10

You can do a save game mod (or a perminant softmod), however, that will require you to buy a copy of a v1 disk of 007:AUF, Splintercell 1, or Mechassult 1. Then, you need to buy an Action Replay or equivalent.

Basically, you download a hacked save that will then allow you to load Slayers and other unofficial software. You must get the save onto the xbox somehow, that is where the action replay comes in. The saves are only available on the games I mentioned above. Later releases have been patched, so you need to find an early release (used is good in this case). Greatest hits versions will not work.

sharpie392 04-02-2007 14:30

i mean, is there a way i can just use slayers auto installer on a new drive to put original xbox system files on it. In doing this will it trick the xbox into thinking it is an original xbox hdd? I want to do this without buying a mod chip.

Quall999 06-02-2007 09:35

unfortunately no. You need either a softmod or a modchip.

sharpie392 06-02-2007 10:39

what would be the best modchip to buy? i want to be able to do a heck of a lotta hardware and software mods, ex. multiple hd's, halo hacks, etc. Also how would i softmod it if i dnt have an hdd to do it with. Ive read that you can put a new hdd in and boot from a slayers disc, but i believe it wouldnt work b/c slayers is unsigned code, would it work?

Quall999 06-02-2007 10:51

Actually, softmods require a working hard-drive on the xbox ou are modding. Oddly enough I wasn't thinking about that when I mentioned it. If you have a modchip, then there is no need to do any kind of softmod.

You first need to get your xbox version:
http://xbox-scene.com/versions.php

You need to get a set of bios that work with your xbox version (search xbins)

The best modchip imo is an xecuter 2.6b, or whatever 2.6(x) version they are on. v1-1.5 are easy installs. b1.6 require some kind of tsop rebuild. I have never seen or modded a 1.6 though.

sharpie392 06-02-2007 18:55

would the xecuter lite be a good one, since it has a bios on it already?

Quall999 07-02-2007 08:19

Sorry yes. It is called the xecuter lite 2.6(x). However, you should know that xbox modchips generally do not come with the bios you need. The bios binaries are copyrighted and is illegal to distribute. Therefore, modchip producers do not put hacked MS bios files on the chips. That is also why we cannot link you to any xbox bios files.

The bios that do come on the chips allow you to boot linux, or easily flash a different set of hacked bios onto think chip. The of it as a bootloader, where you then supply the hacked bios and it will flash them to the chip for you.

sharpie392 07-02-2007 10:38

So, i need a mod chip, new hard drive, slayer auto installer, anything else, except for necessary tools? Also, would I be better off just buying a used xbox, how much do they usually go for at gamestop or ebgames?

Quall999 08-02-2007 08:55

lol, probably. After purchasing a new HDD and chip, it will cover the cost of a used xbox.

However, you gain the ability to store your games and play off the HDD and you gain the ability to run all unsigned code, like the popular Media Center application and emulators. If you simply want a working xbox and don't care about all this stuff, then just look for a used one under $100.

sharpie392 09-02-2007 10:44

ive actually thought about that, buying a new one. I would install a mod chip on it, but i could use the old one for parts. Also im desin\gning a case for my xbox and pc together, made from fiberglass and plexi glass. I want to know were to buy ide connectors and ide cable w/ out connectors already, because i will have a raid controller and such to be able to have tons of hdds. Will take me a long time to do. Have to save money for the pc and xbox + supplies. Will post pics when done, but dnt expect any soon.

sharpie392 09-02-2007 10:46

oh, and were can i buy a hdd holder for a case? found an old case and mobo in garage, but no hdd holder. wont be using old mobo, but will use case for a mold and will need parts for inside

Quall999 10-02-2007 11:53

You said that you want your xbox and PC in the same case? You should know that the xbox dvd-drive, hdd, and all other hardware cannot work with a PC. Having them both connected to the same power supply is also a bad idea if you would like to have them both powered on at the same time.

An xbox in a PC case with your pc would need to be a completely separate entity than you PC.

sharpie392 13-02-2007 10:50

i was not going to try and configure them together. i was goin to have an xbox on the bottom, in the same case as the pc, with a tower coming off of it with the pc in it
the xbox is at the bottom
Code:

l----------l
      l          l
      l          l
      l          l
      l          l
      l          l
      l          l
      /            \
    /              \
    l              l
    l --------------l

yosphorn_s48125 08-11-2008 15:15

unfortunately no. You need windows hosting.

Quall999 12-11-2008 16:03

Now he can sleep easy after 2 years of nightmares.