Go Back   FileForums > Game Backup > PC Games

Old 13-12-2005, 04:34

Anti669 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I should say I obtained the US .exe, as I'm looking for a way to uncensor the EU version.

I also recently got a hold of the US Starforce files (amir.exe and amir.dll), so when (if ?) a mini-image of the US version is released, I'll hopefully be able to work something out.

EDIT: I've never heard this said explicitly, but I got the impression from some people that my CD key will only work with my CD. Is this true? I used to wonder years ago why they didn't do this, and eventually decided that
a) It would greatly complicate the manufacturing procedure if every disc was different, and
b) It could turn into a logistical nightmare trying to get every CD into the right box
- one tiny little mixup, and the next 50,000 discs end up in the wrong box, shipped with a useless CD key...

If they've actually managed to pull this off, I'm absolutely amazed...
But if this is the case, wouldn't the correct CD key need to be included with the mini-image, which would make this fix illegal and see it removed from almost any site immediately?

Last edited by Anti669; 13-12-2005 at 06:49.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-12-2005, 09:52

il2140 is on a distinguished road
keep us posted, ok? I'm quite disappointed with the censorship, too
Old 13-12-2005, 11:28
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
As far as I remember, there were posts about how the Starforce CD-keys are related to the CD and the information (how reliable? assumptions? no idea!) went that batches of CD's are burnt with the same burnt-onto-CD key and in-the-box key.

As for being so cryptic about those Starforce duplicator tools, that's pretty nonsense. I'm quite sure the Starforce developers already have them and are working on defeating them in an upcoming version of their copy protection. or
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: sta@c64.rulez.org; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 13-12-2005, 16:35

Ahh, didn't think of that... batches would be far more practical.
Quote:
keep us posted, ok? I'm quite disappointed with the censorship, too
Will do, but I'm no hacker... I'm confident I can get this working just by replacing the stuff I listed before, but to patch the EU version, you will need a US key. So even if I do get it working, I will not be able to distribute a (fully functional) version of the "patch" (if you can even call it that ).

EDIT: I presume it would be just as illegal to inject the working key straight into the registry, correct? I think I spotted my CD key in there while I was looking for a region-related key...

And by the way, can even ONE person vouch for that Keelman mini-image?

Last edited by Anti669; 13-12-2005 at 20:23.
Old 14-12-2005, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti669
I'm confident I can get this working just by replacing the stuff I listed before, but to patch the EU version, you will need a US key. So even if I do get it working, I will not be able to distribute a (fully functional) version of the "patch" (if you can even call it that ).
you sure about that? I mean, after SF drivers have authorized your SFkey can't you just replace the files? Or they require authorization again? And is it really necessary to match US .exe with US SF files?

Quote:
EDIT: I presume it would be just as illegal to inject the working key straight into the registry, correct? I think I spotted my CD key in there while I was looking for a region-related key...
yeah, it's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UBISOFT\POP3\Keys

um, I think you can just put it in there...

Quote:
And by the way, can even ONE person vouch for that Keelman mini-image?
I've seen it recognized by the system as a blank CD :7
Old 14-12-2005, 02:34
Banned

DABhand is on a distinguished road
my god, no serial talk here, please read the rules.
Old 14-12-2005, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand
my god, no serial talk here, please read the rules.
...and the rules say: "No requests for Serials or CD/DVD-Keys". Noone's requesting anything, we're just discussing where the key is being kept ^^
Old 14-12-2005, 04:49

Since the CD key is part of the copy protection rather than just the installer, I'd say in this context that just discussing cd keys is well within the rules, so long as no one asks for one, asks where to find one, offers one or offers the location of one.

Quote:
yeah, it's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\UBISOFT\POP3\Keys
um, I think you can just put it in there...
I think SF checks the disc against this registry key every time the game is run. I'm fairly sure it keeps no record of whether the disc validated correctly last time - if it did, anyone could probably use a copy of this record to bypass the protection.

Yes, you can just type the key into the registry, and it works fine. But this is my problem - many people with the European version want this game uncensored, but if I get this working and distribute it as a "patch" (and I use the term very loosely ), their CD keys will no longer work. And I cannot simply bundle it with a text file containing the CD key and say "Type this into the registry", 'cause then it would be illegal to distribute.

I suppose any way I do it would probably be illegal, since however I go about it, the serial will still be sitting there in HKCU\Software\UBISOFT\POP3\Keys, able to be read... Though if it isn't mentioned anywhere in the docs, no one might ever find it.

Quote:
And is it really necessary to match US .exe with US SF files?
Yes, I'm sure.
The only differences between the US and EU versions are POP3.exe, and the Starforce files amir.exe and amir.dll.
EU SF rejects the US exe.
US SF accepts the US exe, but rejects the EU key.
US exe with US SF and US key then rejects the EU DVD and DVD-image.

So i'm just waiting for a working US mini-image, and this should work. Though I'd really find a way around the key problem, so that GCW can host it...
Old 14-12-2005, 05:49

NITROUS SYSTEM is on a distinguished road
Please help somebody the game doesen't work with Keelman's image....
Also i have downloaded a Spanish guide how to fix the game but i don't know spanish..Here it is the text:1.tener instalao daemon tools 4 con todas las opciones
2.montar la imagen MDS del juego (si montas la MDF no funciona)
3.arranca SFNightmare y pulsa disable cd-rom
4.una vez exo esto abre sd4hide y pulsa HIDE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ojo!!NO cierres ningun programa de los nombrados,deberas mantenerlos activos!!!!
probablemente esto funcione con muxos juegos de la compaρia UBISOFT

me refiero a splinter cell,KING KONG....y muxos mas

PD:es una ayuda en general,no ay minimagen,con lo cual debereis buscarlas vosotros,tambien vale imagenes completas
Somebody trans.!!!!
Ati radeon 9800 SE
Sound Blaster 24bit Live!
Old 14-12-2005, 06:00
Senior forum member

Joe Forster/STA is on a distinguished road
I don't think this Spanish mini-guide contains more information that the FAQ on this forum...

I have no idea about Spanish but the steps are pretty obvious: 1) install Daemon Tools (with all options?); 2) mount the Alcohol 120%-made image of the game; 3) start Starforce Nightmare and click Disable CD-ROM; 4) start SD4Hide and click Hide; and something about using full images if mini images don't work.
Homepage: http://sta.c64.org, E-mail: sta@c64.rulez.org; for attachments, send compressed (ZIP or RAR) files only, otherwise your E-mail will bounce back!
Old 14-12-2005, 06:36
Banned

But im talking about how someone gets the US exe which would mean he needs the US key, and so on. So in a way its a touchy subject.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:41

Waninkoko is on a distinguished road
The FAQ isn't useful but I'm going to translate it for practise my english :P

1. Install Daemon Tools 4 with all options
2. Mount MDS image of the game (if you mount the MDF file won't work).
3. Run SFNightmare and click on Disable CD
4. Now open sd4hide and click on HIDE
ˇˇWarning!! Don't close any of the applications mentioned, you must keep them active!
Probably this will work with many games of UBISOFT.

I mean Splinter Cell, King Kong... and more.

PD: this is a general help, no mini-image, so you have to find it. Full images are valid too.
Old 15-12-2005, 02:59

PrOzAk is on a distinguished road
http://fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=74450
Old 15-12-2005, 03:43
Banned

That was a silly post.
Old 15-12-2005, 04:25

josetratejosetrate is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Someone is playing

exist any copy solution of pop t2t?
someone is playing the game without disconect the cables?